Monday, June 25, 2007

Fred Thompson: The Next Ronald Reagan? Saturda...

Fred Thompson: The Next Ronald Reagan?

Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:06 AM

It seems that Fred Thompson is being cast as the second coming of the all-important Ronald Reagan. That wasn't sarcasm. In my lifetime (I was born 24 days after Reagan took office) there has been no influence greater than that of RWR. Mandi, when she was pregnant with Emma, Maddelyn, and I were one of the first fifty people into the Capitol Rotunda to bid the great President farewell. I remember it well, I stopped at the casket stood to attention and saluted the Great Man and made a solemn vow to carry out his conservative legacy. I am a Reagan baby, I have been influenced by him more than most. However, my concern is not the desire to carry on that man's legacy, as all the Presidential candidates on the Republican side of attempted to do. My concern is who do my daughters have to emulate? With the exception of that moment in Maddelyn's life in the a stroller in the Rotunda, none of them have any connections to the man. Who is their Ronald Reagan? I don't want my daughters growing up and still wondering when the next Ronald Reagan will step forward. I want them to have someone who they can talk to their children and grandchildren about. So, that is who we search for in 2008.
Is Fred Thompson that man? Will we refer to Thompsonomics? Will we credit the falling of radical islam to him after he has left? I don't know, however, I do know that his pseudo-campaign has taken great strides to be reverant of Reagan, while at the same time have not alluded that he is the next RWR. In fact, they have showed me that their main branding of FDT is not of the next RWR but the very best FDT that he can be. I am impressed by that! Maybe, my daughters will have the chance to talk about FDT in the light that I revere RWR. History will tell, but one thing that I know is I like FDT on his own merits, as far as I am concerned....that is more than enough for me.

-Cincinnatus

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment